Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Riding in the Rain

Levi and I went for a ride last night on our horses. There were some storm clouds coming our way but it looked like they were going to go around us.

Well right after we got on and were riding down the road it started raining. Since they were big drops we thought they wouldn’t last very long but it just kept raining more and more. So we turned around and headed home. We put the horses in a shed and waited for the rain to stop. Well it didn’t. It kept getting worse and worse (we were kind of glad it was raining cuz we’ve had a drought for a long time!). I saw this greenish-bluish cloud coming and thought “Wow, that thing is interesting!” then when it was almost over us it started hailing. The shed we were in had a metal roof so it was very loud! Amigo and our two-year-old filly (named Filly) both got scared and went out but I kept Shivohn inside even though she was scared to death of the noise.

Pretty soon Filly came running back in because of getting pounded by the hail and then Shivohn settled down a little more.

The storm wasn’t getting any better and so I decided to just unsaddle right there. Levi had Amigo unsaddled after he got scared and ran out into the rain and he came and helped keep Shivohn quiet.

So the moral of the story is: Do not ride when there is a thunderstorm coming!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you got in before the hail came. we got really heavy rain but no hail.

Becc@ said...

I think that if I EVER got that chance of riding I'd do it no matter what the weather!;-)

joygirl said...

I didn't know you liked riding Becc@!

We had to ride in the rain yesterday looking for the cow. It was a lot of fun even though we got drenched! :D

Kristi said...

Hi! I'm Kristi. I found your blog through Otter Tracks.

Just wanted to say it was refreshing to see you girls riding horseback in a skirt. That just goes to show that it can indeed be done!!

:)
~Kristi