Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Yikes! Spiders!!!!

I was sitting at the dining table reading a book. All was peaceful and quiet and just perfect for reading. When all of a sudden, I heard a disgusted sound in a room behind me. I turned around in my chair and was immediately greeted by a girl carrying a large blue blanket. Before I could say anything, the girl was stuffing part of the blanket in my face.
"Kill it please, Hannah."
I looked at the blanket (going cross-eyed because of the closeness of the blue mass) and noticed a long-legged spider scrambling for cover to escape his death.
"Eeooww!" I said pushing the blanket away.
I don’t like insects and I don’t to kill insects, but a sister of mine hates the very thought of it! And she is forever coming to me and pleading me to be the executioner of some ill-fated bug. And of course I always try to get out of it.
"Come on kill it." she urged.
"You kill it, you were the one who found it."
"No Hannah, I can’t. PLEASE KILL IT!!! "
"I am NOT going to kill it!"
This would have gone on till ‘the cows came home’ if I hadn’t noticed a muddy brown spot on the girl’s skirt. I couldn’t make out if it was a stain or some object stuck to her dress so I bent closer, she looked too. And at the same moment we realized it was another spider!!!!
"GET IT OFF!! OH HANNAH, GET IT!!!!" her voice becoming shrill.
I laughed and got up to get a fly-swatter (I figured she needed some help). She didn’t move a muscle, except for her tongue.
"HURRY UP!! THIS IS SOOOOO CREEPY!"
I came back still chuckling and began to swat at the fuzzy brown insect. I swatted and swatted at it and it wouldn’t come off!
"Come off you crazy bug!" I said.
And then suddenly it came off---more like jumped off.
"WWWAAAAAAHHHHH!" she screamed her voice reaching very high crescendo and we both jumped back.
The spider made a run for the blanket that had gotten thrown on the floor sometime after we had discovered this second intruder. I still was laughing pretty hard and that was disabling my aiming skills, so the bug did make it to the blanket unhurt.
The girl ran back into her bedroom saying something about it being my fault about the blanket being full of spiders because I had left it on the clothesline too long, and so I should take care of it.
I took care of the blanket and the spider and went back to my book but had a hard time concentrating on it. And when Mom and Dad came home from a fishing trip I had to tell them, but I’m not sure if they understood totally, I was laughing so hard.
Whenever I tease Britt about her spider and bloody murder scream. She just rolls her eyes and walks off. But really she did scream louder than I’ve ever heard her scream. And over a little spider!!

9 comments:

Iron sharpeneth iron......Prov. 27:17 said...

OOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I HATE spiders!!! They are SO creepy, and I must say, I can't blame Britt for being scared by them!!! :) In our house, when a spider is sighted, my sisters are always running for me (or the nearest brother!)......do they think killing spiders is our favorite job?!?!?! :)

Anonymous said...

Great story Hannah, very funny!(at least from a guys perspective) I have seven sisters that I had to "take care of". Believe me, that was a job!

Kristi said...

Hannah, a very funny story indeed. I recall another bug story your sister told a few months ago involving her and your eldest sister. Well, at least you know how to get even with her if the opportunity ever arises. LOL

~Kristi

Bethany said...

Oh Hannah! This is great. Oh, poor Britt! I must confess that I too, was scared of spiders -- hating to kill them, squealing when they showed up. That is until we moved to a new house and the laundry room was in our unfinished basement...with spiders abounding!

I think my 'record' day I found 7 spiders in my dirty laundry pile over the course of the day. Yikes! There is nothing like picking up a peice of clothing to have a spider crawl out of it! (ugh) Though I still don't like them, I have learned to dispose of them. :D

Becc@ said...

Oh, my, that sounds JUST like the way Rachel used to be with me and spiders!
But personally I've never minded them.=)

Becc@ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth Pruett said...

I can't usually get a scream out, so I tend to kill quite a few spiders for the family. Just recently though, we were visiting someone's home, and my sister came upon one in the bathroom. She had no choice but to stifle her usual scream and heroically dispose of the villain!

joygirl said...

I don't mind spiders just as long as they aren't HUGE and mind they're own business!!

One time I was taking care of some empty feed bags in our feed shed and I felt a tickle on my hand! It was a pretty large, longlegged spider and it scared me pretty bad! I didn't scream though, I did make this shudder/gasp noise!!

Anonymous said...

*falls over laughing* Ha! That was a great story Hannah! :p

~*~Michelle~*~