Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Never A Dull Moment

The other week, on a bright Sunday morning, I looked out my window and saw the Quarter horses in the round-pen. That was weird, they were supposed to be down in the pasture. And why did they go in there? Well whatever the reason they could still get out of the round-pen, so Levi quickly ran out and put them into a secure pen.

We were busy the rest of the day with church and things so I wasn’t able to go out and see where they had gotten out. The next day, Levi and I went down to the pasture and received quite a surprise. One whole side of the pen was down, wooden posts were busted, and the T-posts, still in the ground but very loose! Either a pretty large deer or one of the horses charged through the fence but whoever had done it had made a huge mess! Groan. :(

We set to work right away. Me driving T-posts in, Levi digging holes for the wooden corner posts. He finished before I did and came over to help with the last of the T-posts.

While pounding one in, we noticed how it quickly and easily pierced the dirt. Levi reached down and pulled on the post to test how sturdy it was and it came out! Then he pushed the post back in with his hand and went in as far as that post-pounder had drove it! We had gotten A LOT of rain in the past few weeks and the ground where we were was pretty soft. We think that must have made the fence give so easily to whatever animal that ran into it. Needless to say, we put that post in a dryer part of the ground! ;)

I’m still puzzled as to why the horses didn’t run away, but went into the round-pen that BTW, has no food whatsoever in it! But I’m very glad they did! :D

5 comments:

Becc@ said...

Fun post, Hannah!
Loved reading the story! I'm glad you got everything under control!;)

BTW, I love all the posting that's going on!;)

(((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Wow, it must be nice to have horses! I always wanted one, but we don't live exactly on a place where we could have not even a tiny pony... :(
I wish I could meet you one day!

Anonymous said...

I still think my theory of the bumblebee is the most likely cause.

Brittney said...

Oh, and just so you know, *I'm* the one who knows. (Crazy blogger didn't stick my identifying linkyboo in like I told it to.)

joygirl said...

Becc@,
Glad you liked the post! Enjoy the posts, I'm not sure how long this blogging spurt will last! :D

Gem,
It is nice to have horses, though the miniatures sometimes try my patience. ;) I hope we can meet sometime too!

Britt,
By the way the ground was so soft, I almost agree with you. But it must have been a big bumblebee. :D