Monday, July 02, 2007

"Watch Out! I'm Going to Cast!"

We had some friends over last Thursday with a night of fishing in mind. Right after they got to our house, the guys left to check out a fishing spot. When they got back with word that the fish weren’t biting there and they were going to a lake with a promised supply of fish. They invited anyone who wanted to go and so us three girls (Gabrielle, Stephanie, and I) went with (we are slightly the fisher-woman types :)).

We get to the lake, the guys take the best spot, so us girls find some other place to fish. We get set up (grossing out at the worms on our hooks ) and cast out. Oh, somebody’s bobber just disappeared! After a series of jerks, reeling, and squealing, the line is wound back up and we look earnestly for the fish on the hook. Aw, it’s just a piece of seaweed (or is it called lake weed in our case?).

Okay cast back out; making sure you don’t hook yourself or anyone next to you. Or that you don’t fall in the lake while you’re casting (and there were a few close calls to both of those precautions! ;)). I hooked Gabrielle’s shirt sleeve!!! And once she came close to falling in the lake when she cast!

Despite our novice beginnings we caught a few fish between us girls although none of them were big enough to keep. But we enjoyed the scenery; setting sun, fog slowly drifting over the water, fish jumping at the bugs, and sounds of the warbling of bull frogs. It was quite peaceful and we had a nice time.

In fact, everyone had such a good time that we want to do it again. I just hope that none of us really hook each other or fall into the snapping turtle infested lake next time :D!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Giggles* Sounds like you had fun! I've always wanted to fish. You know what? Last Sunday we went to a dam and saw turtles over there! It was nice.

Brittney said...

What a bunch of girls. I remember the one time I caught a fish... Dad told me it was probably a mommy fish and I couldn't bear the thought of her in a frying pan so I made him let it go (I never touched the fish or the worm :))

Noelle Otto said...

Good one, Hannah! LOL! Sounds like you had plenty of fun!

joygirl said...

That must have been fun going to the dam Gem!! There are a lot of turtles at the lake we fish at! Including a great big snapper! He's so creepy!!!

Britt, I was glad that none of the fish we caught were big enough to keep. But most of the time I was the only one that had enough guts to take the fish off the hooks. But just barely. YUK!

Yes Dustynne, we had a blast!! Can't wait to do it again!

Noelle Otto said...

Hey, you're due for an update just as much as I am! :)
Or more, or less...I can't remember the last time I posted...that's how long it's been!! :D
All that to say...
POST AGAIN SOON!!!!!
:)

joygirl said...

I'm trying to Dustynne! I'm really busy, and have a slight case of writer's block. :P But I hope to find something to write up soon. :)

Noelle Otto said...

teeheehee! :)